The SA Master Cleanse Forum » My Master Cleanse Experience

Master Cleanse Challenge # 1 Journal

(13 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by PoppiSeed
  • Latest reply from PoppiSeed

1. PoppiSeed

Senior

I tried the MC once (2010), and I was not in the right frame of mind to do it - I ended up committing only for 3 and a half days (yes, sigh if you will, but you were not there lol :o ops:). It was absolutely terrible, I thought about food the entire time that first day and I wouldn't have managed but disaster struck; and I experienced a horrible stomach ulcer reaction. I couldn't even bear to think about food to such a point that I died a thousand deaths every time I was spoonfed by my sister. I quit after the 3rd day because I was just not committed and I hadn't read up on it, I only went through it because a cousin said we should. I believe that 3 days helped especially with the ulcer, because I took all the meds and nothing helped - I was in so much pain, I couldn't do anything but suffer - it was hell (it always is)

I've done my reading and I'm looking forward to it right now; and for someone who couldn't survive 4 days, I am now determined to go for 25 day. I'm gathering my ingredients and I'm getting Coombs Maple syrup (Gr B) on Friday and all I have to locate is the sea salt (non-iodized), I still don't know where to get this... please help.

I'm attempting the "almost" impossible, to start the cleanse on the 26th of December (I know what you're thinking, it's the festive season and indulgence in icky foods is mandatory but I am doing this)... I'm in this mess because everyday of my life has been "a festive season".

I aim to achieve the following:
    * To get my stomach ulcer healed
    * To eradicate my skin problems
    * To develop good eating habits (and let go of meat, processed foods and CHOCOLATE)
    * Losing weight and "fixing" my out-of-control BMI
    * Prove to myself that food (any) doesn't rule me - I'm in control :mrgreen:

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. PoppiSeed

Senior

Day four was horrible but I'm grateful that I reached the end of it with no regrets... I'm inspired to go for more than my original number of days

Did anyone else experience any inexplicable joint pains? My ankle started feel sore as if something was snapping off every time I put some weight on it. I didn't sprain it or anything, I woke up days ago and I was in pain - it's been getting worse since then. I haven't been to a doctor because I'm really not interested in meds right now.

I had a similar pain on my wrist in 2009 when I was heavily pregnant with my first child and I bought some wrist support brace thingy at a pharmacy, and immediately after the baby came, the pain was gone... I don't know

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. Mike

lemonHead

Hey PoppiSeed. Hang in there and keep going, all is well.

Rest and relax whenever you need to and however much you need. Everything that happens is initiated by your body and it can do only one thing - improve itself. Pain is a warning sign, a communication and your body's compass needle, its never a bad thing, no matter how uncomfortable it may get. It sends a clear and sometimes urgent message - 'pay attention', 'I'm busy here', 'get off your feet' or 'do not use this part' etc! When subsequent behaviour is correct pain subsides, when its not pain increases. Go about your day in such a way as to minimise pain through your actions and get as much rest as you need. You will be all the better for this later. This is how the body heals. 'Meds' can never do anything TO you, but they force your body to respond to their damaging presence and thus distract and hinder it in its healing effort.

'Painkillers' do not kill or remove pain - they simply dull your nervous system, mask and hide it -- thus cutting off a vital communication between your body and your conscious mind. This almost guarantees that you will behave wrongly and exacerbate the problem since you no longer feel the feedback!

Take care, take it easy :)

"I am responsible - the creator of my own experience."
    Posted 5 years ago #
  4. PoppiSeed

Senior

Hi Mike, thank you so much. I'm doing much better especially as far as the urge to eat goes. I just realised something horrible, I've been eating/operating on auto-pilot my entire life ... Snacks (including cocktail wings, chips, nuts, sweets etc) seem to be a ritual for watching movies or even regular tv. I never noticed this about myself before but after starting this cleanse, I sat down to watch a movie and automatically I prepared to go fetch something to eat. I stopped halfway down the passage and wonder why I wanted to eat because I wasn't even hungry

My ankle is still sore but not all the time anymore

I am a movie-fanatic and by Day 3 I was sitting on the couch browse-reading a book on raw food diets and watching a movie at the same time - and the only food around me was my "fuel" - I can now watch a movie or read a book without the need to snack, I don't even feel like gum.

There are chocolates in the fridge (not mine) and I am functioning and completely sane (you must know that chocolate is my "bad habit") - and I prepare breakfast, lunch, snack and dinner for my family without even tasting what I'm cooking. My husband and son have proudly rised up to take the tedious job of tasting lol

This is the best thing I've ever done for myself - and being on Day 5, I'm left with ONLY 20 days to go to my minimum number of days.

Off topic: Can you recommend the types of lax tea brands that can be used on the cleanse; as well as salt.

Many thanks and Blessings

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. Mike

lemonHead

Eating on auto-pilot is what almost all of us do. Heck, and who decided 3 meals a day? One of the great gifts of the MC for me was making me conscious of what and how much I eat. This tends to fade as we slowly slip back into old habits and I use the MC about 3 times a year to keep from sliding too far and reminding myself of what I'm really aiming at. The 'snacks' thing stays the longest and my opinion about that is simple - there are three great stimulants (drugs) in our diets that are the cause of almost all ills and habits: sugar, salt and fat/oil. And especially the combos of one or more of them (ice cream, flavourings on chips etc).

As you get rid of bad eating habits (all flour-based products, 'white' carbohydrates, dairy etc) you whittle it all down and the ones that seem to hang on forever, that you keep coming back to, always contain one or more of that terrible trio. Its not easy changing a lifetime of bad habits, but it can be worked on and as long as you remain conscious about it you win little victories. And with better eating comes better health and 'feeling good'. When everything in your body 'just works' and you stop getting sick (especially the colds and flu type) you get motivated to continue and try again to eat better and stay doing that. What we eat is the source of almost all our 'diseases' (the need for the body to temporarily increase/decrease normal activity for healing), I am convinced of that now. Eating better keeps your body in better condition and healing crises ('disease') become unnecessary and rare.

Salt - we use a brand called Khoisan. Its dried from seawater by a company in the Western Cape. There is a 'kalahari' brand as well that is apparently good, and that pink himalayan salt is good too. Natural sea salt has over 80 micronutrients and minerals in it. "Table salt" has one - but they add iodine and an aluminium-based substance to stop it clumping and keep it running free.

I have tried Black Forest tea (strong!) and the Laxa tea that we use in our kits - tastes better to me and is a lot milder. If its too strong you can get cramps. I haven't tried any other teas though except an American one called 'Smooth Move'. It was the best (flavour, mildness and action) but the costs of importing it became far too high and we stopped it.

Enjoy the rest of your Cleanse. By day 10 you're going to be rocking, and making food for everyone will be a breeze :) Best thing to do about the bad habits - never buy them! Once they enter your house the damage is done. lol

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. PoppiSeed

Senior

Thanks for the info on Salt and Tea... I'm keeping a blog/journal so that I can write about everything I go through at the end of each day. A cup of lax tea confirms that I've done good - and that's when I blog :-) I'm always looking forward to that time of my day... I'm using auto-pilot to prepare everyone's meals but I'm wide awake about what goes into me...

Will try to update my progress on this forum as well but it's difficult journaling on two different spots... but I'll let everyone know I'm still on track!

The truth is, it's not as bad as I thought it would be. I'm never actually hungry - I just get bored. I don't want to slip back into my auto-pilot habits and so...

My plan is to go Raw Fruit and Greens after my 25 days (plus correctly coming off) because I love fruit and green smoothies - I just didn't commit to having just that... winter doesn't help because all I want then is a chicken or beef soup - warm food. I have to work around that.. but there are raw "blended" soups, and my question is - Will it stop being raw if I warm the blended raw veg mix in the microwave? Just warm, not boil (at least in winter)

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. PoppiSeed

Senior

Day 12 over... 13 days to go...well I suppose that depends on my syrup lol... So I'll just go on until the last drop is done!
    Good luck everyone starting or half way through

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. PoppiSeed

Senior

Looks like I'll be completing my 15 day cleanse on Thursday... I planned on going for 25 to 30 days but... Lol
    It's been a bit difficult but mostly positive and I'm definately going to do this again...soon.
    Current weight: 116.1kg
    Starting weight: 122.4kg

I'll do a complete update after my last day

It's been unreal

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. PoppiSeed

Senior

Made it to 15 days. Today is my first day of orange juice and Im not feeling the same way about eating... It feels like a complicated chore of checking calories and
    and food labels... I dont really want to go through it. The MC made my life easy because I was putting in only what my body needed.
    Will update with my stats later! Good luck current MC'rs

Posted 5 years ago #
  10. Mike

lemonHead

To quote author Michael Pollan: "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." :)

Posted 5 years ago #
  11. PoppiSeed

Senior

12. Mike

lemonHead

Thanks for that PoppiSeed - an excellent, articulate and honest commentary. No bulls**t advertising copy. I will definitely spread that link around... :) I really like your example in the 'Moods and PMS' paragraph - a great illustration of how perfect our bodies really are and that health is our default state. Its what the body will return us to every time we give it the opportunity by withdrawing from our damaging habits (usually food related). Its a deeply profound insight to be reminded of the fact that most of our physical 'woes' are almost all self-inflicted and completely under our voluntary control. Once we take responsibility for our own health it becomes remarkably easier to just feel good and enjoy life.

Focus on that plan and always take the long term view. The life-long one.

Take care now and eat wisely you must :)

Posted 5 years ago #
  13. PoppiSeed

Senior

Thanks Mike,
    And don't worry about my eating habits - I honesty feel a change in myself. You can always browse through my blog because I'll still maintain my daily food&exercise activities at the end of each day (just as with the MC). Blogging about my day with the MC has really helped me to focus and I'm going to continue doing that...

I'll pop-in once in a while but I'll be back for my next cleanse sometime in March or April.

Again, your insight has been more help than you can imagine!

Keep up the good work :-)

Posted 5 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.