The SA Master Cleanse Forum » Detox Symptoms and Problems

In need of support

(7 posts)

1. Healer7

Hello. I am currently on day 23 of the Master Cleanse and man or man am I having a challenging time!I decided to embark on this journey of the Master Cleanse for Health reasons. I had faced so many challenges regarding my health in the past that I eventually resigned from work as a result of these challenges. My health problems ranged from severe migraines, to epilepsy, ibs; and the underlying root for all of these conditions was extremely high levels of stress. The weight loss aspect of the fast was an added bonus that would be gladly welcome in my life. Now here I am 23 days laters and struggling as much as anything. My biggest challenges: irritability, crankiness, feeling vulnerable and under a lot of emotional distress. Even though I have lost a visible amount of weight I find myself not being able to feel that great about it because I am an emotional wreck at the moment. But still I hold on because I remember all these health benefits that drove me to pursue a 40-day fast. Is this normal so far into the fast? I thought that I would be feeling good or better most days so far into the fast. Does anyone have any words to encourage, strengthen and guide me along?

Posted 7 years ago #
  2. Mike

lemonHead

Hello Healer7!

There is no 'normal' - just you and your own unique feelings and responses. Your mind and your body are one and so when one is feeling pressure, so will the other. Now, more than ever you need to stay calm and relax. Do not put yourself under more pressure mentally or emotionally. Easier said than done I'm sure, but true nevertheless. Your body during a detox is in a state of change and turmoil, especially if you might have been taking a lot of medication previously? If so, then it can be a rollercoaster ride of emotions similar to a hard drug user undergoing 'cold turkey' withdrawal. Remember that 'medication' is also drugs.

It seems that the stress to which you attribute the cause of your health problems is still present and you must take care not to let the fast intensify this. Stress is a reaction to circumstances, it is not inherent in the circumstance at all. By definition therefore it is something you have control over and you need to take care not to let it overwhelm you.

Maybe you have a friend or family member you can talk to, someone who can help you feel grounded and with whom you can explore your feelings of vulnerability? As always, you need to relax and stay calm. Sometimes it helps to get away - if you can - leave your familiar surroundings for a bit and take a break somewhere different, somewhere where nature is the dominant environment (and warmer?), somewhere you feel safe and free, somewhere you can indulge in some gentle exercise like long walks. For me that sort of thing helps tremendously in letting the stress flow out. Spend some time in meditation, nothing special - just sitting still for a while, comfortably, and try to quiet your inner dialogue.

Relax, all is good with you and the world. You have taken action and are busy confronting issues within yourself by yourself. This is a positive and healing endeavour you have undertaken. Stick with it and trust your body, it will not let you down. Often things need to break down before they can be rebuilt again. You will come through it all stronger and cleaner.

Hang in there, Healer7...and keep warm :)

"I am responsible - the creator of my own experience."
    Posted 7 years ago #
  3. Healer7

Thank you very much for your words Mike. I must say that I immediately started feeling better after posting on the forum last night. Today is better for me. I generally find that it is better during the week because I really get to take it easy and have all my time and energy to myself. So I can attest to the power of taking time out of your usual and familiar surroundings. Good news is that I have not given up at all, to day 40 I go :-) What you are saying about the effects of medication/drugs makes sense and resounds quite well with me. I do not know just how much medication/drugs are still sitting in my system from so many years on treatment. But the good thing is that there is a change happening and it is definitely for the better. And the thing about keeping warm, I have been struggling with feeling very cold throughout the cleanse and it has been quite unbearable at times. What causes this drop in the body's temperature? I realised that this has had an effect on the amount of water I drink. So I have decided to make some changes: like drinking more water and taking it easy. Thank you for everything and I will keep going.

Posted 7 years ago #
  4. Joy

Senior

Hello Healer 7. I admire your will power and discipline that you are on day 23 and still determined to keep going to your goal of reaching day 40 even when the going gets tough.
    I am on day 9 and I realized that 40 days is not a child's play, big ups to you!!! I hope that your healing will take place by the time you finish day 40. Just keep on visualizing yourself healed and that will manifest into reality in time. I have realized that keeping warm during the fast is vital. So keep warm and keep on going.

All the best.
    xoxo

Posted 7 years ago #
  5. Mike

lemonHead

Hi Healer 7. Yes, detoxing after long term use of pharmaceutical medication can be very trying. Very often these substances are not completely metabolised and eliminated but are stored as the body is usually in weakened state ( either before or after taking them or both) and its elimination systems are impaired. Now, as they are removed and re-enter the bloodstream on the way out they can give rise to all sorts of effects as they affect your chemical balance. When you are detoxing these effects can become quite intense as your bloodstream is no longer diluted by food and other nutritional content. You will probably have feelings and feel effects that you might remember (like a feeling of deja-vu) from the days when you originally took them. The good news is that all those chemicals are on their way out and that this is a temporary thing. When they're all out, they're out for good. In the meantime you just need to cope with the mental rollercoaster ride these sudden and unexpected 'doses' of chemicals are having on your emotions, including a new round of 'withdrawal' symptoms when they clear.

Being cold during a fast or on the Cleanse is quite normal. Your body conserves energy and resources by slowing the metabolism and reducing your overall body temperature. Its part of the normal thermo-regulation system and your body constricts the capillaries that are closest to the outside of your skin to prevent heat loss to the air via the circulatory system, and give priority to the core (and without blood hands and feet appear blue).That's why fingers and toes always feel coldest. When you're hot the opposite happens and the blood vessels expand and increase the flow to the outside to remove heat from your core (hence you apear redder). Just make sure you dress a little warmer (especially right now!) to compensate.

You're doing something really good for yourself and things getting worse before they get better is something very common in natural healing, so take it easy and look after yourself with TLC...

Posted 7 years ago #
  6. sinazo

Senior

It's true that things get worse before they get better. When I started the MC those close to me were negative saying it won't work and I told myself that I'm gonna do it and see, now they don't believe the discipline I have when coming to food. Healer7 you are only left with a few days to reach your goal of Day40 and I'm sure now you feel there's nothing or no one that can stand in your way. That's the power of MC!!!!!!

Posted 7 years ago #
  7. Queen D

Junior

Hello everyone. Today is day 19 and so far so good. Fortunately I have not experienced any major detox symptoms, actually if any, (I definitely do not want to jinx myself), and sometimes I think, am I doing something wrong? Then again how wrong can you go. I initially said I would do 10 days then it went to 14 and then 21. Yes I am hoping to reach the next tier being 28, well one step at a time. Today though I am rather peckish and just want to sink my teeth into anything and everything. I have tried to keep a personal log of my experience, but today I need to put it to the forum for a little help. I just need some edging on as perhaps a little tender today. I love reading all the motivational, encouraging words everyone writes, it really does help. Well let us hope day 20 is a lot easier. Thank you all in advance. Just needed to share this tricky part with you. Take care, be strong and well done to all.

Posted 7 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.