The SA Master Cleanse Forum » Detox Symptoms and Problems

Gout - Uric Acid

(3 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by Road King
  • Latest reply from sharkfin

1. Road King

Mike

I was 14 days into my planned 20 day cleanse which was my second one I did a 10 day one in winter.........not a good idea I suffered with the cold! One of the many reasons I decided to do this 20 day cleanse was that I could feel a gout problem developing! My sweat was burning my eyes at gym and the pains in my feet were starting ( been down that road before 3 to 4 times a year). After 5 days I was feeling great all pain in my feet and ankles had dissapeared and apart from the cravings I was going very well losing half a Kg per day. Then bam!! On day 13 my left foot got incredibly painfull with Gout, I tried upping my already good intake of pure water to flush it out but within 24 hours I was in agony and had to visit the emergency room at the Medi Clinic for a cocktail injection to get rid of the unbearable pain. I had to be honest with the doctor on duty about being on the Lemonade Diet / Master Cleanse and as expected I got a hole long lecture about who crazy I am blah blah blah and had to promise to end it before she would help me. She was adamant that the lemon juice and maple syrup had elevated my levels of Uric Acid in my system which caused the episode. Can any body shed some light on this as I am a great believer of the Master Cleanse maybe I should just stick to doing four a year of 10 days each?

Posted 7 years ago #
  2. Mike

lemonHead

Hi Road King.

Sorry to hear about your troubles but while I sympathise with your problems, in my experience I would say you had a classic case of your body actually addressing (starting to heal) its problem (gout) hence the "painful attack". Obviously you need to make your own decision about how to respond to detox and healing issues but rest assured the body almost always resolves them properly if it has sufficient life force left. You just have to stick through it and ride it out. It's a little bit of payback from nature - remember that health "problems" like gout are a direct result of lifestyle and eating/drinking habits. They took a lifetime to develop. They will take some time to resolve. In fact, the amount of liquids involved in the Master Cleanse, especially if you are drinking at least 2 litres of water a day as well as the lemonade will be very effective in addressing gout issues, as it is for kidney stones too (both caused by the same habits).

Drugs will simply mask the problem, allow you to "painlessly" forget and leave it unattended and it will return far far worse in future (can anyone spell arthritis?). Unfortunately, misinterpreting "healing crises" as problems is what causes so many people to cease the Cleanse and so halt the the very thing that is actually helping them get well! In this case that "thing" is your body -- and its finally getting the opportunity to address the issue! Now, off the Cleanse you risk going right back to your same old habits of eating/drinking as before and....well, like the saying goes: If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

But honestly, let me emphasise one thing: the judgement and choice on how to respond is always yours and yours alone. You need to do what you feel is right and appropriate, ALWAYS.

While the sugar content of the maple syrup *might* lead to an increase in uric acid (usually only if it is excessive - and on the Cleanse it certainly isn't), lemon juice most certainly is something you should be embracing for gout! Lemon juice will not cause a rise in uric acid levels. In fact it is OFTEN RECOMMENDED by gout sufferers as helping relieve it. While lemons contain citric acid their effect on the body is ALKALISING, not acidifying. A common misconception about citrus fruits.

Here is some stuff courtesy of 3 minutes with a browser and google:

"1. Lemon Juice. Gout is a build up of too much acid in the body. Therefore the body's pH level must be neutralized by adding alkaline to the body. This is best achieved by drinking the juice of a fresh lemon. Lemons are 20% acid, 80% alkaline. I just take the juice of a whole lemon, mix it with warm water in a tumbler and down it through a straw. Doing this first thing in the morning on a empty stomach also helps cleanse the kidneys which is linked to other gout related problems."
    (http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Precautions_for_uric_acid_Which_Vegitables_causes_uric_acid)

"Kidney cleanse is any procedure that involves drinking a huge amount of liquid, and taking care what you are eating. Just a better diet with more water can be enough! But, also any form of bowel cleansing will also help kidneys! The Master Cleanse Lemonade Diet is also a Kidney cleanse, juice fasting is also a kidney cleanse, and any other form of fasting that incorporates a lot of liquids, will in the same time clean a kidney"
    (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061129211659AAvVyvH)

"The best method to eliminate excess toxic uric acid is by the regular use of lemon juice. Lemon juice is rich is vitamin C, microelements and hormones. It has cleansing properties that target these same insoluble salts and slime produced from uric acid build-up. Some of the chemical compounds found in lemon juice are particularly effective in the prevention or management of infectious diseases (for example, the common cold and viruses)."
    (http://ezinearticles.com/?Stomach-Capacity,-Uric-Acid-And-Lemons&id=5333865)

Health is the single most important thing you have and it is your own responsibility. If you delegate responsibility for it be prepared to accept the consequences. Doctors have no vested interest in our good health, they earn their living from our problems. When last did you go to a doctor because you were feeling fantastic and wanted to keep feeling that way?

Good luck RK, and whatever you do in future, remember to eat/drink consciously. That's where it all begins...

"I am responsible - the creator of my own experience."
    Posted 7 years ago #
  3. sharkfin

Senior

Hey there Road King. I concur that you were in the throes of some serious detox and healing there, and fully on track to get off the "Puricos" (I presume this is the drug you take to alleviate the problem?) but you ditched. Yes of course it can get tough! But then this is a very serious problem right?

And like the man said: nature exacts its price. The pain is both part of the problem and part of the healing. Puricos may seem the quick and easy way out, but it'll come back and bit you in the ass later, trust me. If your body is allowed to fix it it'll be gone for good (as long as those bad lifestyle habits go too).

Get back on that horse I say, ride it out and finish the race and you may just achieve your goal. Going back to the doctor - what did that do? More Puricos?? Something even stronger? Betcha... thats what doctors do, right? And what's that going to do for you?

Off you go - 30 days minimum I reckon! My two cents :)

peace

Posted 7 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.